Jan 9, 2013

My personal favorite vintage clothing item

 
 
 
My very favorite vintage piece is this plaid jacket that I bought in a large vintage stock purchase about 13-14 years ago. It's a late 1930s-early 1940s woven wool plaid, nicely tailored, with very cool silver buttons down the front.

What do I love about it? Everything! I love the blue-grey and brown plaid, great color combo that went with so much. The fit was perfect, I don't like big shoulders and these shoulders are just right, and it's also nicely fitted through the bust and waist. And the buttons are so cool. I got a lot of use out of this jacket, I wore this piece out, it was my grab-it-and-wear-it jacket for everyday.


Now for the sentimental reason why it is so treasured to me. I wore this jacket when we went to get our sweet doggie Boris up in PA back in March of 2001. I wore it when we first saw him and then when we picked him up 2 weeks later. He sat on my lap on the way home and he kept trying to chew those cool silver buttons! That was a special day.
I no longer wear this jacket because it has holes and fraying in several areas, but whenever I see it, I admire it's coolness and I think of Boris and the day that we brought him home. Weep. He would have been 12 years old next week.

The good thing about wearing and selling vintage is that you can sell an item when you get tired of wearing it. Usually I sell items from my own wardrobe if they start to get damaged, as cheap as-is items. But this is one item that will never be sold.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Some fraying on the ends of the sleeve and a wear hole on the body of the jacket.  Yes, I could probably get the holes and fraying rewoven, but I won't. I don't want anyone touching my beloved jacket.
 
 
 Baby Boris, the very first time that we saw him in March 2001.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment